I studied in a Catholic school in the North East till Class VII...And one of the 14 interesting subjects they taught at school was Moral Science...And since I am pretty clueless about what to write, I thought I would dig up this subject...The subject was about commonplace do's and don'ts, importance of punctuality, cleanliness, good manners etc., and I believe they are taught in other schools too. Now, when I grew up and became a perennial skeptic, I realized that I had lots of issues with the subject. Of course there are those clichéd issues (Is morality a science, is catholic morality good enough for all, should they teach you to believe in God at school, should morality be taught through rote learning etc.).. But, leaving these thoughts aside, I have one question I haven't an answer for.
The pass marks for the subject was pegged at 35% like the other 13 subjects... So what’s the point? Is 35% moral awareness good enough? What about the lack of awareness of the remaining 65% of morality? Does society in general accept that 35% morality is good enough?
Being a self-proclaimed degenerate (and also by some others), this post shouldn’t be taken as my appeal to increase the pass marks in Moral Science to 100%. I would rather drop it altogether to reduce the number of subjects to 13.