My ebook: Journeys with the caterpillar

My ebook
"
Journeys with the caterpillar: Travelling through the islands of Flores
and Sumba, Indonesia
" is available at
this link


Monday, January 26, 2009

The confession

I walked up to face the jury, there were three of them in a row, all wearing black garbs, a meter or so between each one of them. I was anxious, a little disturbed, a little distracted. A long day lay ahead with possibilities of several tribulations. My movements were already wobbly from the huge loads I was being forced to carry. Things around me were dark with a few highly focused lights enhancing the ominous nature of the members of the jury. When I was at their disposal, one of them asked me in a cold and sweet voice, “Last night, did you or did you not?”

I was a little uncertain. My memory was failing me. I struggled. How many of them were there? My eyes started rolling but she didn’t budge. She tilted her head gently, gave me a sharp look and started tapping her pen. The other members of the jury also gave me intent looks. There was a deafening silence. She said. “Well…” and tilted backwards to call for Bruno, the witness.

At that point, I broke down. I couldn’t take it anymore. I confessed. I confessed to everything. Yes, I was being an irrational fool. Yes, I was a shame in the name of humanity. Yes, I was being an insatiable glutton. I devoured that one, and that one, and that one too. Yes, I confessed, I did use the mini-bar. I took the chips, the cashews, and the coke can too, even though the price of the three could have paid for one Congolese child’s food for a lifetime.

She smiled, basking in her victorious glory, printed the bill, asked for my credit card, and then said good bye and good luck for the rest of my life.

No comments: