My ebook: Journeys with the caterpillar

My ebook
"
Journeys with the caterpillar: Travelling through the islands of Flores
and Sumba, Indonesia
" is available at
this link


Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Changing the world

A few years ago, when I was at college, my favorite songs would be the likes of:

Ozzy Osborne: I don’t wanna change the world, I don’t want the world to change me.
Ugly Kid Joe: Ten out of Ten die
And of course, those unforgettable lines by Ten Years After:
I would love to change the world
But I don’t know what to do…hu
So I leave it up to you…

Those were the days when Inertia was a Vedic virtue; “Chalta Hai” was more powerful than “Garibee Hatao”. The world seems to have changed in between.

Today, everyone is looking to change the world egged on by advertisement jingles like “Kuch kar dikhana hai”, “Sapne dekho to bade dekho”. Geldoff has made a comeback, Bono is going strong and likes of Jolie Pitts will soon adopt people from other planets. Back home, there’s Rang De Basanti; Jessica Lal candle light vigil, evangelical words from Ms India contestants, and millions of bloggers with their absolute faith in being able to change the world through their posts. Yep; the bloggers are growing by leaps and bounds flushing the online media with their clichéd morality and clichéd ideas to change the world for better; with a self-aggrandizing group of fellow bloggers putting up comments like: “Great post; I couldn’t have put in better words”.

In the mean time, I shall escape listening to those silly Weird Al Yankovic songs like:
What if God smoked Cannabis.

No comments: