My ebook: Journeys with the caterpillar

My ebook
"
Journeys with the caterpillar: Travelling through the islands of Flores
and Sumba, Indonesia
" is available at
this link


Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Please change my name

So finally, someone has done it. Bangalore’s name is being changed to Banaguluru. I am a big fan of changing names by state orders, as you can read from my earlier post about changing Mumbai’s name to Shanghai.

So, I would like to take this opportunity to request the Indian governments to change my name too…See I am a Bengali, and my name in Bengali is “Sheebaajii”, not "Shivaji" as everyone calls me. The name “Shivaji” has come to be accepted as my real name because of the dominating grip of Hindi and similar languages on the Indian mainstream culture and pronunciations (Just as names of Calcutta, Bangalore and Madras were a result of English colonialism). So please, Indian governments, please change my name. You might argue that I must do it myself by filing an affidavit followed by a newspaper ad. But why should I have to pay for this, when the state paid for the name changes for Calcutta, Chennai and now Bangalore?

No comments: